Friday, August 21, 2020

Psalm 138 You Increased my Strength of Soul




Observation: Many of David's psalms talk about God's power to rescue him from enemies. I imagine this would be an important part of his story considering the time he spent on the run from King Saul. But what stands out about this psalm of thanksgiving is verse 3: "On the day I called, you answered me; you increased my strength of soul."

Application: Psalm 138:3 reminds me of a Phillips Brooks quote that's often put in the mouth of JFK or Bruce Lee. The original quote goes, "O, do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men! Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers. Pray for powers equal to your tasks!" On the one hand, I don't want to turn this into unhealthy machismo. I firmly believe there is no shame in asking God's help and rescue in a bad situation. The psalms are full of desperate cries for help. But that help doesn't often come in a miraculous rescue, or a speedy resolution out of nowhere. I find when I ask for God's help, it often comes in the form of "strength of soul." When there is nothing to do but face a tough situation, God often helps me accept it, and face it one day, one hour, one minute, one choice at a time.

Prayer: God, again I ask for grace in this day, to accept with serenity the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things which should be changed, and the wisdom to distinguish one from the other. I call upon you for the strength of soul I will need for today. In Jesus' name, Amen.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment