Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Matthew 26:6-13 Believing in God, in Others

 


Observation: I think it's hard for Jesus' disciples to understand what this woman is doing, or conceive of the idea that she's doing it for a good and holy reason. They assume they know better than she does about what she should do with her costly ointment, with her body, with her time, and with her friendship with Jesus. 

Application: The story of the woman anointing Jesus is about faith and faithlessness. The woman shows faith by sacrificing some very expensive ointment, and by acknowledging that Jesus' burial as close at hand, as he has already told his followers. The disciples show lack of faith by failing to see or understand why she's doing what she's doing. They don't want to see God at work in an action like this. I think many of us, including myself at times, can have very strong faith to see God in creation, in world events, or to see God (now and again) inside ourselves. But to see God active in others, especially others whom we don't understand...in that category we are more agnostic, or even atheistic. We can't conceive of the same Spirit who guides us in our own thinking and actions, could also be guiding someone else, who thinks and acts differently. We need reminders, now and again, that any God worthy of our worship is a God who works in the lives of very different people. 

Prayer: God, I believe in you. Help my unbelief. Help my unbelief in my neighbors. Help my unbelief in your Word, your Gospel, your power to form others into shapes I don't recognize. Amen.    

No comments:

Post a Comment