Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Isaiah 43:8-13 What is Real?

 



Observation: God makes a bold statement in a time when most people believed in multiple gods. Not only is Israel's God the ruler and creator of all, but in fact there are no other gods who exist. 

Application: Even though, as a Christian, I believe there is only one God, I don't always act that way. We all have moments where we put our ultimate trust in something or someone else for protection, security and life itself. Maybe it's the stock market, or the economy. Maybe it's the government or our ideology about how it should be run. Maybe it's ourselves, as though if we worry enough about the right things, we can head off any imagined catastrophe. My mind is really good at coming up with fictional narratives of how, if everything goes right today, I can fix everything and save everyone. It's just not true. At the end of the day, I need constant reminders to put my faith in God alone. I can never know what the future holds. I can only know who holds the future.   

Prayer: God, you are real. You are more real than my anxiety, more real than my fear or my anger. Help me live each day fully connected to reality. Help me live trusting in you. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment