Wednesday, September 26, 2018

John 8:21-38 Jesus vs. Spiritual Entitlement




Observation: Jesus is arguing with the religious teachers of his day. He has the harshest judgements for them because they are the proudest of their status. They announce that they are "Children of Abraham," as though that status makes them free from sin. Jesus isn't buying it. Our family lineage doesn't automatically set us right with God or our neighbor.

Application: Growing up in the church, sometimes I thought of "Christian" almost as a cultural identifier rather than a faithful way of living. Something my family "was," rather than a dynamic relationship with God and my neighbor that requires my own commitment. People like me, who have "always" been Christian, have to fight against complacency and entitlement. Christian discipleship is not something that just "happens" because our families identifiy as Christian. And more importantly, being "native" to the Christian faith does not make it our personal domain, to which "newcomers" are merely "guests."

Jesus lays it out clearly: being connected to God is not a "right" to which we're entitled based on family ties, or religious rituals, or anything else. Only the Son--the Christ--is fully "at home" in God's house. Our welcome is based on his invitation. And thankfully, that's open to all.

Prayer: Jesus, keep me humble. Keep me thankful. Help me welcome others into faith, not as a "host" but as another guest, just glad to be at the table. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment