Thursday, September 20, 2018

1 Corinthians 2:1-5 Knowing Nothing



Observation: Paul writes about the time when he first met the members of what is now the Corinthian church. Instead of coming on "strong", with big confident rhetoric and lofty words, as other evangelists at the time were known to do, Paul didn't need to draw attention to his own skills as a public speaker. He decided to know nothing except Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

Application: It's a natural human thing to want to be acknowledged and appreciated. As a Christian leader, I wouldn't do very well if I wasn't at least comfortable sometimes being the center of attention. But honestly, like many people in leadership, I'd say "comfortable" isn't the half of it. I like preaching. I like having something helpful and relevant to say. And if I'm honest, I really like hearing about it when someone appreciates that. I'm human. I work hard. I like knowing it's not in vain.

But from Paul's words about knowing nothing but the crucified Christ, I get a helpful reminder that should come daily: it's not about me. The crucified one is infinitely more effective in changing people's lives than any smart words I have about him.

The only way to really make a difference is not to always have something cool and new and brilliant to say. It's to stick near the cross, and get out of the way so others can see.

Prayer: Jesus Christ, crucified one, you are my hope and the hope of the world. Let us rely on you alone. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment