Tuesday, September 18, 2018

1 Kings 13:11-25 Know Yourself


Observation: I must have read this story before but I didn't remember it. A prophet is on his way back from delivering a message to the king of Israel. He's been told by the Lord not to eat or drink until he gets back home. Another prophet from that area invites him to his home to eat, presumably having heard that he's been told not to. The local prophet claims (falsely) that God told him it was fine and he should eat. So he does. And he gets eaten by a lion on his way home. Bummer.

Application: This is an interesting reflection on faith and personal experience. To be forthright, in my experience, it's not common for me to feel I'm hearing "directly" from God when I pray. I read scripture, I try to listen, I'll sometimes go over the events of the day and look for things that stand out, and when I get time I'll process them with friends or peers. I know there are some faith traditions in which a direct experience of hearing God's voice more common, but for me it isn't.

Still, even for those who do feel they hear from God often, this story is helpful. Sometimes two people will both claim to have heard from God, and heard contradicting things. It happens often in Church history. The English army did not exactly take Joan of Arc's word for it, nor was there much consensus among Northern and Southern preachers in the 1860s. When it comes down to it, you can't climb inside another person's mind and determine whether God has really spoken to them. But you can gather together around scripture and prayer, and commit to listening to each other and to God. Even then, consensus won't always come. But respect will.

It's important to trust that still, small voice in your heart that pushes you in the right direction, and not let anyone discredit it. But that's not the only voice God uses.

Prayer: God, speak to us. Not just me. Us. Help us learn to listen to you by listening to each other. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment