Friday, April 13, 2018

Psalm 4 Ending the Day




Observation: This psalm seems to shift perspectives between one crying out to God, and God's response. The psalmist cries "answer me  when I call". God responds, "How long will you love vain words and seek after lies?" Advice comes--presumably from God--when we are disturbed, not to sin, but to ponder it on our beds, and be silent. Turning things over to God at the end of the day is one way to find peace.

Application: I'm feeling convicted by this psalm, in that bed time is not a very conscious, intentional time with God for me the way it maybe should be. I write these devotions in the morning, after the kids get on the bus. Often (like today) Ezra has a kids' show going on in the other room. It's peaceful, but not quiet. But at night, when there really is a chance for silent, intentional reflection, I tend to mess around on my phone, or watch Netflix until I'm ready to drop. I do tend to be something of a morning person--inspiration and motivation tend to strike me at the beginning of the day--but I wonder if taking even two minutes of silent reflection might help me be more intentional about going over the day with God, remembering all God has done for me, and reminding myself that I'm not alone in what I will face the next day. 

Prayer: God, help me remember to greet you in the morning, but also to debrief with you in the evening, as a bookend for my day. Help me to lie down and sleep in peace...your peace.    

No comments:

Post a Comment