Friday, April 6, 2018

Acts 4:23-31 With All Boldness


Observation: Peter and John are in trouble for teaching and healing in Jesus' name. After being released from arrest by the same religious authorities who orchestrated their teacher's death, they immediately gather with friends for prayer. And what's amazing is they don't pray for safety or protection. They pray for more boldness to proclaim God's word.

Application: In the quote soup that is the internet, I have no idea who originally said it--John F. Kennedy, J.M. Barrie, Philips Brooks and Bruce Lee are all apparently candidates--but this verse makes me think of the quote, "Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger."

I think "strength" can be a toxic myth sometimes in our culture. There's nothing at all wrong with being affected by our circumstances, grieving things we have lost, or asking for help when a situation seems to be too much for us to bear. There are plenty of psalms in which the writer asks for God's deliverance from a tough situation. "Save me!" is a necessary and faithful prayer at times. Sometimes that salvation comes through trusted friends to whom we can open up. That does not make us weak. 

But the fact is, sometimes the tough situation isn't going away. And very often, we later realize we've been called into it for a reason. If Peter and John had only asked God for safety and comfort, we would never have heard the name of Jesus. Sometimes it's better to pray for boldness.

Prayer: God, life is hard. It seems like there is no end to the curve balls we get thrown. But you have called me to face this day, and as I do, I ask you to help me speak your word with all boldness. Don't  just take away my troubles. Make me the kind of person who can bear them faithfully, in witness to your Son Jesus, in whose name I pray. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment