Tuesday, April 24, 2018

1 Chronicles 11:1-9 "Now the City of David"



Observation: The people anoint David as king and "shepherd" of Israel. No sooner do they do this, then David marches his armies down to the territory of the Jebusites, and announces that the first to attack them will be "chief and commander." They invade and occupy the city, which will eventually be called "the City of David". But from here out it will have a different name, meaning "city of peace": Jerusalem.

Application: Just after "Good Shepherd" Sunday, it's interesting to me that David is known as a shepherd not just for defending the "sheep" of Israel, but for going on the offensive to lead them into a good pasture. The city of Jerusalem, for thousands of years known as "David's city," was itself taken from the Jebusites by force.

I struggle with Biblical violence in general, but in particular, the stories of the conquest of the Promised Land give me trouble. Yes, God promised the land to Israel...but somebody was already there. As we hear in the news about violence between protesters and police in Gaza and the West Bank, this is all too relevant for today.

But as an American Christian, the stories of David's conquest hit home for me in a different way. It reminds me that even the land on which I reside, and have lived all my life, was itself taken by conquest, and some Christians even pointed to the Old Testament stories of conquest as justification for taking that land from the American Indians who already lived there.

Here in Northern Michigan, the first occupants of the land were the Chippewa and Ottowa Indians. They still have a tribal organization organized up in Peshawbestown. I can't necessarily rewind history, but I do feel a call to learn from it and do what I can to honor my neighbors who were here first.

On Sunday, I preached about how King David himself acknowledged his own need for guidance: "The Lord is my Shepherd." Even the shepherd needs a shepherd. My prayer today is that all of us, with whatever level of power and influence God has given us, would allow ourselves to be led and shepherded by Christ, who is the prince of Peace.

Prayer: Jesus, lead me, and all your sheep, through the valley of the shadow of death--even when that shadow comes from the violence and greed in our own souls. Amen.   

No comments:

Post a Comment