Friday, May 5, 2017

Psalm 23: Through the Valley


Observation: The metaphor of a king as the shepherd of the people goes back to the earliest biblical books. This well-worn and well-loved Psalm speaks of God as the true guide and caregiver for the author: unlike earthly kings, God looks out only for the good of the sheep: God's people.

Application: After a disturbing day in American politics yesterday, and after my first full week of being jobless, I have never needed Psalm 23 more than I do today. I've read it at easily a hundred funerals, but the fact is, those who have died have already reached the rest it promises. It's the living who need to remember God as shepherd and king. It's those of us still in the fight who need to remember that God has led us through green pastures and beside still waters before, and God will do it again. 

Prayer: Shepherd me, O God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment