Friday, May 26, 2017

2 Kings 2:1-12 Becoming the Grown-Up






Observation: Elijah knows it's time for him to be taken up into the heavens, which means it's time for Elisha to become a prophet in his own right. Elisha asks for a double share of Elijah's spirit as he ascends. Elijah is right in saying this is a hard thing: for the vast majority of us, the only way to carry on the spirit of someone we respect is through years of learning at their side, trying, failing and trying once more.

Application: I can understand Elisha's grief. From watching his teacher Elisha must know how hard it is to speak God's truth to the powerful. It's a lot easier to do when you have someone to follow. Taking the initiative to lead on your own, and answer God's call in your own distinct way, is always daunting.

I'm in a rather unique spot in my life in ministry. I'm getting ready to start my fourth call (my third was a year-long interim, so it feels a bit more like 3.5). For years, I've felt a bit like Josh Baskin from "Big"--everyone looking to me as an adult, but inwardly feeling more like a kid. One look in the mirror, however, will remind me that I'm definitely not a kid anymore.
Maybe everyone feels this way sometimes, regardless of years: like we're not ready to walk the path God has for us on our own; like we just want an Elijah to follow, rather than be the one everyone is looking to for guidance.  

As I began thinking more seriously about Christian discipleship a couple of years ago, this was my biggest hang-up: not feeling ready to be an example for others. "Who am I to set myself up as a model for others to follow? I barely know what I'm doing half the time." Like Elisha, I didn't feel fully ready to be the spiritual "grown-up" for folks twice my age. But what I have learned over these last couple of years is two-fold: 

Firstly, you never really do stop being a disciple. Even those who tend to be the most experienced in their walk of faith still have people they call for advice and counsel. And of course, part of what makes them good spiritual leaders is they continually listen for God's guidance in scripture and prayer. 

And secondly, being an example for others is not a matter of being some sort of perfect, wise guru. You don't have to attain some level of spiritual perfection to start discipling others. All you have to do is invite them to walk with you on your spiritual journey, and be open about your successes and struggles. You aren't teaching anybody. It's the Holy Spirit who reveals for them the things that are worthy of imitation, or that they can find useful in their own lives.

Just a few rambling thoughts on the long, slow journey of becoming a spiritual "grown-up", which more often than not humbles me and makes me feel like a child the further I go. Maybe that's what Jesus was talking about when he called us to become like children. The more you know, the more you know you don't know.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank you for the road I've walked so far. Thank you for the share of the spirit you have given to me from those who have taught me by their example. Thank you for sharing my spirit with those who have learned something from me. Amen. 

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm! I don't know why you don't feel ready to be the "spiritual grown-up" for those twice your age (or older). You've been there and done that at LG, certainly for me. Perhaps it is because you have been open to listening to God. Not all of us are. You helped by leading me on a new path. I still have a long way to go, but at least I'm on my way. Thanks be to God.

    ReplyDelete