Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Proverbs 3:5-12 Do Not Rely On Your Own Insight




Observation: The theology of the book of Proverbs is not always easy to swallow for modern readers. The promise of physical healing and plentiful barns for those who trust in the Lord does not always seem to pan out in real life. That's why it's important for me to balance that with "do not lean on your own insight." The kind of healing and plenty that comes from trusting in God doesn't always look like the kind the world offers or the kind we want. Sometimes the reward for trusting in God is simply knowing you can survive and that God has walked with you through a hard time. 

Application: I am often tempted to "go with what I know", or only try something at which I'm likely to succeed the first time. I can only envision doing that which will bring me no pain, and consequently no growth. If I rely on my own insight, I will not take risks. I'll shut my eyes and ears to certain wavelengths of what God has in store for me. It will be invisible to me, because I can't do it myself. But then, that's the whole point of faith, isn't it? Trying the things we can't do ourselves? If we only walk down the paths of which we already know the ending, why invoke God's name at all? How do we expect our faith to grow if we live  our lives as though God has no part in them? 

Prayer: God, open my mind to the full spectrum of what you can do in my life, my family, my community, our world. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment