Friday, March 24, 2017

Psalm 23: Surely Goodness and Mercy Shall Follow Me




Observation: in such a familiar Psalm, it's easy to gloss over details. Since this is attributed to David, we can only imagine the dangers and "dark valleys" he faced as king. God was with him through it all.

Application: When I was an intern in Libby, Montana, a member of our church asked me to participate in a bike tour through the Cabinet mountains. I wasn't a rider (I didn't have the right kind of bike nor, even at 25, was I in good enough shape for that!). I was a helper. I drove a car, slowly, behind the last rider, in case someone had a flat, needed a bike pump, or got exhausted or injured and needed a ride. I didn't end up needing to help many people, but I followed along just in case. 

When I read "surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life," this is the memory that pops up. A helper, just behind you all the way, who you may not remember is there until you need them. It's unfortunate that we sometimes forget about all God's goodness and mercy until the wheels fall off the cart and we need to be saved. But I'm still glad to know it's there. 

Prayer: God, thank you for your goodness and mercy. Thank you for the many people you have put in my life to remind me that I may walk through dark valleys, but I don't walk alone. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment