Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Psalm 146: Oh Psalm 146, Where Have You Been All My Life?


Psalm 146. Seriously. My beat-up "Jesus Justice Jazz" Bible notes that I have read through you at least five times since 2009. It's probably more. But if someone on the street asked me what you say, I would draw a blank. And yet you are my new favorite Psalm. So without further Ado, Psalm 146, here is my list of reasons why I love you.

1. Because you say "Praise the Lord" like fifty times, which I know is the English translation of Alleluia, and it being Lent, your whole vibe is just refreshing.
2. Your "Alleluias" remind me of an outstanding performance by Michael and Lisa Gungor last night: their encore was a rocking blues chorus of "Alleluias" and they echoed through this beautiful neogothic chapel, and no joke, I could almost see the little marble angels headbanging.
3. You tell me that the Lord is concerned about people our society ignores or throws away: prisoners, people with disabilities, strangers (immigrants), orphans, and widows (the poor).
4. You remind me that the Lord made the whole universe and is faithful not just for a long time, but forever.
5. You remind me not to put my trust in princes (or legislators, or judges, or even presidents) because they are mortal and their plans pass away with them. 
6. You say "Praise the Lord, my soul", which reminds me that sometimes your mouth has to remind your soul to do something it doesn't always feel like doing, until inspiration returns.
7. You remind me that God executes justice for the oppressed.
8. You remind me that God gives food to the hungry.
9. In reminding me of these things right next to each other, you remind me that God does not think simply feeding without justice will ever cut it. 
10. Because I just want to read the whole thing over again, and I think I'm going to right now. 

Prayer: God, my soul praises you, because you are eternal, but you care about mortals. Help me care too. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment