Thursday, January 5, 2017

Acts 9:36-10:8, The Mechanics of Miracles


Observation: Dorcas, a Christian disciple devoted to love and acts of charity, becomes ill and dies. When her church members find that Peter is nearby, they ask him to come "without delay". Why "without delay"? Dorcas has already died. Maybe it's so he can get there before the burial...But is there some other urgency? In the ancient world, death was confirmed after three days (with little other means of medical observation, this was partly just to be sure before burying the body) but it's clear, too, that the disciples' image of what God can do through Peter is limited. Guess they've never heard of Lazarus...
Application: How often do I place a time table on the actions of God? As Yogi Berra famously quipped, "it ain't over till it's over." But still, when I'm facing a problem, I'm often limited in my vision of what God will do and when. If it doesn't happen the way I'm expecting, when I'm expecting it, sometimes I miss the amazing ways God can transform a situation. 

Prayer: God, help me remember that what I may see as a delay is actually part of your process, and what I may claim as your inaction may actually be a whole other gift which I wasn't expecting to receive. Amen. 

NOTE: I've spent a very good year with the Moravian Daily Texts as my devotional resource. In response to a generous gift to all DE-MD Synod Rostered Ministers, I will begin the Epiphany season with the Devotional resource, Bread for the Day.  (You can get it HERE.) I will still list the Bible text I'm reading so you can follow along. 

No comments:

Post a Comment