Friday, February 26, 2021

Psalm 22:23-31, The Poor Shall Eat And Be Satisfied

 


Observation: It's strange to think this is the psalm Jesus quoted from the cross, the eon which begins, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" By the end of the psalm, the writer is so convinced of God's rescue that he is already planning to praise God in the congregation, to share God's goodness with future generations, and to praise God when the poor can "eat and be satisfied."

Application: When I'm in a tough spot, it rarely occurs to me to thank God "in advance." Yet when things get better, I don't always remember to be thankful, either. Maybe the psalmist has the right idea. Even when we feel forsaken, we can still share compassion with others who are suffering. We can mentor those who are also struggling even when we don't feel we have it all figured out. We can feed the hungry even when we're not sure how we'll make ends meet. When God does come to our aid, and God will, it will give even more meaning to the time when we felt forlorn. 

Prayer: God, for the times when I feel forsaken, help me to never stop sharing love with others. Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment