Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Proverbs 30:5-9 What God Promises Is Enough

 


Observation: The writer of the book of Proverbs (traditionally, King Solomon) reminds us that God's word always proves true. We don't need anything more than what God promises us. The two simple requests of God are honesty, and enough resources to live on: not too much and not too little. 

Application: I sometimes struggle with a sense of "enough." Am I doing enough? Am I caring enough? Am I present and loving enough for my family? Am I trusting in God enough? Am I earning enough? Will I have enough for my kids' college? Will I have enough when I retire? Will I look back at my life and feel I have made enough of a difference, stood up enough for what I know to be right, spoken out enough against what I know to be wrong? Am I enough? 

These words from the book of Proverbs convict me. When I get tangled up in the "enough" questions, I'm centering myself, instead of God. I'm focusing on my own abilities (and inabilities) instead of God's promises. I'm adding to God's word, which has already told me I am enough, God will provide enough, and God's grace is enough for me, for my family, for my church, for my country and for this world God made. If I'm being completely honest, there's nothing I can add to that. 

Prayer: God, you are enough for me. Help me build my life around what you have already done for me, instead of what I claim to be able to do for you, for others, or for myself. Amen.   

No comments:

Post a Comment