Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Psalm 121 God who keeps you will not slumber



Observation: Psalm 121 is a "Psalm of ascents," traditionally sung by pilgrims going to Jerusalem for worship. Any direction from which you come, that's an uphill journey. It will be arduous, and it will also be dangerous. But pilgrims sang: God is our keeper. The One keeping Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.

Application: Sometimes I wake up at night and have a hard time getting back down. It tends to be a time to go over the details of the day past, or the day to come. The irony is, that dark and lonely time, when the problems seem biggest, is the one time I can't do anything about them.

But God is up with me. And during the day, when I have this inflated sense of control and I'm out trying to see to all these details, the detail I often forget is to turn some stuff over to God.

So maybe the wee hours of the morning are a good time for that. The One who keeps me doesn't sleep.

Prayer: God, remind me of your presence, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Keep me safe. Keep me healthy. Keep me  me, calm. Keep me Lord. Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment