Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Isaiah 30:18-21 Waiting to be Gracious


Observation: If you want proof that this "grace" thing is not just a New Testament invention, that God has always loved us unconditionally, this text is a good place to look. God waits to be gracious to you, and rises up to show you mercy.

Application: I started this blog as part of a discipleship journey. The idea was to spend time with God each day, and write a devotion every day that you could point out to other Christians as something they could imitate. My discipleship coach was great at this. His devotions were short, clear, and relatable. In fact they still are:
Fuel for the Journey

I think my devotions have started to go further afield, into Bible teaching rather than pure, relatable, imitable reflections. So I'm going to reset a bit.

Reading this text, it  just makes me feel good to know that God "waits" to be gracious, as in, God is ready when I am. It's not that God is withholding any blessing, or that I have to do anything to earn it. It's just that I get so twisted up worrying about tomorrow, that I don't even notice God's grace when it's happening today. God waits patiently, for me to turn up my eyes and see that God is right here, loving and caring for me as always.

Prayer: God, I don't want to keep you waiting. Today, right now, I need help with seeing how good you are to me, my family, our church, our community and world. Help us receive your goodness with thanks, and share it with others. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment