Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Song of Solomon 4:1-8 So I Guess We're Going There...


Observation: This is a sensual love poem. A man describes a woman's beauty using somewhat graphic, and bizarre, similes. Maybe that's what got folks going back in the day, but I wouldn't recommend comparing a significant other's teeth to "shorn ewes" today. Maybe that's just me.

Application: Christians have a lot of hang ups about intimacy in general, and sex in particular, and I'm no exception...it does seem weird to be reading poetry like this in the Bible. But this text is a reminder that God made us--all of us--and God made sex. Like any other aspect of our lives, the things we try to do apart from God will always go wrong. So we need to figure out a way to work past the shame and embarassment, and invite God into our relationships: even the intimate ones. I think the answers to how that would look are as diverse as the people God created. But pray for me, and I'll pray for you, and maybe we can set an example for future generations of how to do this right.

Prayer: God, I blush easily. You know that. But I need your help, because I want to devote my whole self to following you. I don't want any part hidden. Help me be more authentically myself in you. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment