Thursday, January 17, 2019

Acts 8:18-24 Did Simon Get a Bad Rap?...Nope. He did not.



Observation: While the apostles are in Samaria, a man named Simon offers them money to transfer the power of the Holy Spirit by laying on of hands. Peter does a little more than politely decline...he instructs Simon to repent and pray for forgiveness, for trying to "pay off" the apostles. This is where we get the word for the obscure sin of "Simony," more common in the middle ages, where wealthy families would try to buy a cushy bishop's job for one of their sons. This is a no-no. The Spirit gives gifts for free, but those gifts are for God's purposes, and put us at God's disposal.


Application: This story doesn't seem so relatable at first--you'll be happy to know I didn't pay anyone off for my role as pastor, unless you count student loan agencies--but I am often tempted to think of my role with the Spirit as transactional. Maybe I don't offer money, but I'll pour lots of time and effort and worry into a project, assuming the Spirit will jump right into it and get things moving because I did the leg work. That doesn't always happen. When I remember that I work for the Holy Spirit, not the other way around, it helps me actually listen and let God set the agenda, instead of trying to entice God into blessing mine.

Prayer: God, let me know what I should be up to. Set the tone. Send me where I need to be, to receive and share the gift of your Spirit, that your Reign may come among us. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment