Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Zechariah 10:1-12 Ask For Rain






Observation: the prophet tells his readers to ask for rain from the Lord, rather than their household idols, because only God can deliver. Because of false dreams and visions from these idols, the people of Israel are wandering aimlessly. Only God can give them the direction their lives need. 

Application: We woke up to an autumn thunderstorm this morning. Aside from making my kids extra squirrely and difficult to get ready for school, it was a good thing. Rain is one of those things that reminds me I'm not in charge and my plans are often contingent on things I can't control. Today I'm grateful for rain, but however I feel about it, it's 100% a God thing. 

There are a lot fewer things in our lives over which we have control than we'd ever want to admit. Sometimes in addition to "thy will be done" I think we should also be saying "and help us to go with the flow." We can't stop the rain ourselves, much less start it. Better to pray for the presence of mind to bring an umbrella. 

Prayer: God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment