Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Romans 11:33-36 Unsearchable


Observation: After reflecting on God's plan to imprison all in disobedience, but ultimately have mercy on all, Paul marvels at how far beyond human understanding God's wisdom really is. 

Application: Sometimes I want to tell God what to do. I think it's a common problem. When people I care about--or even people I don't know--are suffering, I want God to end it. I can't imagine how God could possibly work with the kind of devastation I see in the news, or the in the lives of friends and family. 

I don't think it's helpful to just refer to a passage like Romans 11 and just say "see? All part of God's master plan." I believe God can turn pain and death into new life, but I also believe Jesus' Great Commandment should let us know not to go around telling people their pain is a good thing. I don't presume to know better than God how to reconcile the world to God's self. From God, and through God, and to God are all things. But I know God's intent for me: to keep on loving my neighbor as myself, through thick and thin, through hell or high water, not taking a break in case of rapture or Armageddon or even just garden-variety baffling events that I can't figure out. My mission does not change, even if the world does. 

Prayer: God, your ways are not my ways, not your thoughts my thoughts. Thank you for your wisdom, beyond what I can know. Help me trust you. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment