Tuesday, August 1, 2017

1 Kings 4:29-34 Divine Inspiration



Observation: with God's help, Solomon becomes the wisest ruler of his time, world renowned for composing over three thousand proverbs and a thousand songs. 

Application: As a teenager, I had a deep appreciation for singer songwriters. The example par excellence for me was Bob Dylan, who wrote hundreds of songs that defined a generation, yet seemed to call from a place beyond. It was hard for me to believe that a normal person could write lyrics that spoke so powerfully to the human experience. Many of them seemed "inspired": breathed into life by an other-worldly wisdom. 

As I began to sing and write a few songs of my own, I noticed that with some, I felt like I had to fight for every line, but some seemed to come to me faster than I could write them down. They really seemed to come from somewhere beyond myself. 

Inspiration happens to all of us at some point: that great idea that just "happens." It's great when you've got it, and maddening when you need it. Frankly, as far as songwriting goes, I sometimes feel those moments are fewer and further between these days. Still, I'm grateful when inspiration strikes. I believe part of being made in God's image is having the ability to imagine and create. It's a divine gift. 

Art and music are gifts from God to make life worth living. While I don't think God literally "inspires" all our creativity, I do believe that if it speaks truth to our hearts, yet challenges us to see things differently, it is precious in God's sight. 

Prayer: Thank you, God, for inspiration. Help me be patient, open, and ready when it strikes. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment