Friday, April 21, 2017

Psalm 16: In the Night My Heart Instructs Me



Observation: The message of this psalm is so, so simple, yet if we really took it to heart, everything else would fall into place. God alone is worthy of our ultimate trust. Anything or anyone else will disappoint. "I have no good apart from you." 

Application: The verse that grabbed me was "I bless the Lord who gives me counsel; in the night also my heart instructs me." 

See, when my life gets complicated, I tend to have too many thoughts and concerns to fit into a single  day. So my good old mind does this super-convenient thing where it makes appointments for me to just go over and over those same thoughts in the middle of the night. You know, that time when there's literally nothing I can do about it except worry...

Or pray. 

I wish I was better at remembering that worry and concern is a sure-fire, unmistakable sign that it's time to pray. It may not "cure" worries, but it reminds us we don't carry them alone. If your mind's going to run a mile a minute, you may as well invite God as a jogging partner. I hear She works the night shift anyhow. 

Maybe my heart does instruct me at night, the same way my body does during the day. When my stomach growls, my body is teaching me to eat. When my mind races, my heart is teaching me to pray. 

Prayer: God, thank you for my restless heart, which reminds me I can't do life alone. Help me listen, learn, be patient with myself, and trust in you. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment