Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Psalm 118 God's Steadfast Love Endures Forever



Observation: This victory psalm is an essential part of the Easter celebration. We don't know the original context, what distress the original author was facing in her/his life, what the big victory was, and what the "rejected stone" may have been, which became a foundation. But from very early on, we know that Christians have read this psalm to describe Jesus' victory over death through the cross and resurrection. 

Application: This psalm has a special meaning for me, beyond the Easter liturgy. It was Laura's and my wedding psalm, on August 23, 2003. I wrote a special musical setting and sung it, along with the praise team from my home congregation of All Saints Lutheran Church of Hartland, Michigan. Every time I read it, I can hear the melody in my head, and I can almost feel the Northern Michigan sun on my face. 

I remember, at the tender age of 22, reflecting on how meaningful the psalm was, considering all the trials and tribulations Laura and I had overcome to get to that point. To be honest, today I can't  remember what half of them were. But with each passing year, the psalm grows in dimension and scope, incorporating every time God's steadfast love hung in there for us, when we were having a tough time hanging in there for ourselves and each other. Jesus really has been the foundation for us, just as he is for all who trust in him. And it's exciting to think of laying another layer of brick on top of that foundation in the year to come. Today I'm thankful to God for almost 14 years of marriage to Laura, my lifetime companion, and for God's steadfast love, which endures forever. And my prayer for you, as you read this psalm, is that you would also have a moment to remember when God's steadfast love endured for you. 

Prayer: God, we thank you for your love, which never falters, not even through death. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment