Thursday, April 27, 2017

Isaiah 25:1-5 What a Real Refuge Looks Like.


Observation: It's a very common theme in all the Old Testament prophets that God is a refuge for the poor and needy--and also that God levels the fortresses and fortified cities of the ruthless and cruel.

Application: Honestly, it's easier for me to relate to God on the defensive on behalf of vulnerable populations. To teach and preach about a Good who goes on the offensive against oppressors is harder for me. Maybe it's the nuances of my Lutheran theology, how Jesus taught us to pray for our enemies, how Luther taught that we're all both saints and sinners and the world can't be neatly divided into "good guys" and "bad guys". Maybe it's knowing the sad history of Christians reading about God going on the warpath and taking that as permission to act violently themselves. 

That may be part of it.

But a bigger part is that I'm afraid of the consequences of telling the truth.
I'm afraid, in this divided political climate, that people will take what I say as a partisan attack, and think of these words from Isaiah as words of judgement on them and their perspective. I don't want that. 

I'm also afraid, honestly, that if I read these words too closely that they'll implicate me: a white, straight, male, Christian American, in a world that (perhaps rightly) often sees America as the ruthless one on the world's stage.  I'm afraid of texts like this. I need to be praying about it. 

Prayer: God, help me overcome my fear of telling your truth. Let me speak the truth in love, sharing your word with all people as they are ready, building trust and relationships that can transform us in your image. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment