Tuesday, October 8, 2024

Christian Citizenship (Biblical Reasons Why I Want to Be a Christian in a Multi-Faith Nation) Part 40

 

This post is it: part 40 of 40. It's my last in a series on Christian citizenship, and why I believe mixing Christian identity with American identity is bad for both. Believe it or not, I could go on. Separating faith from national identity is so important to the scriptures, and to the Christian tradition, that I could easily put out another 40. 

But I've made my point and it's time to move on. I hope this has been good food for thought. I don't know too many scholars of the U.S. Constitution or of its framers. But I know quite a few people who view the Bible as a sacred text, and understanding it as their duty. If that describes you, I hope I've given you some strength and guidance in pushing back when people of faith try to glue the flag and cross together. 

Today's reason I want to live as a Christian in a multi-faith nation: Because Martin Luther, and many other Christian teachers, taught us to pray for a kingdom of God not within any national boundaries, but within ourselves. 

When Jesus teaches his disciples to pray in Matthew ch. 6 and Luke ch. 11, praying for the Kingdom of God is a very high priority. But when his critics ask where that Kingdom will be, he says, "The kingdom of God is not coming with things that can be observed, nor will they say, 'look, here it is!' or, 'look, there it is!' For, in fact, the Kingdom of God is among/within you." Martin Luther used this concept as a guide when he was trying to explain the "Lord's Prayer" (AKA the "Our Father") for ordinary Christians. This wasn't an off-the-wall speculation, but an explanation grounded in Jesus' own words, about what he meant when he asked his followers to pray, "Your Kingdom come."

God's kingdom comes not from any war of conquest, not from any election won or lost, not from passing any federal law or local policy. God's kingdom comes to our hearts, by the power or the Holy Spirit, through faith in the Good News of Jesus. It's really that simple. There's no greater Kingdom to look for. The one we need most is within.   

For more background information read this statement from the ELCA's presiding bishop, or learn about Christians Against Christian Nationalism.    

No comments:

Post a Comment