Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Christian Citizenship (Biblical Reasons Why I Want to Be a Christian in a Multi-Faith Nation) Part 38

 


This post is part 38 of a series on Christian citizenship, and why I believe mixing Christian identity with American identity is bad for both. I hope to give you little bite-sized thoughts, which represent themes you'll find throughout the Bible and historic Christian teachings.

Today's reason I want to live as a Christian in a multi-faith nation: Because this week, as Rosh Hashanah begins, I give thanks for my friendships with Jewish Americans.

I went to elementary school in Bexley, Ohio, a Columbus suburb with a large Jewish population. One of my best friends from 4th to 6th grade was the son of a Conservative rabbi (in Judaism, "conservative" is closer to the middle of the road in theology and practice). I had the honor of sometimes being a guest at sabbath meals and attending Saturday synagogue services. 

On Rosh Hashanah, a new year festival signaled by the blowing of a trumpet, school was out. I wasn't Jewish, so for me, it was just a nice early fall break. I didn't think anything of it. We never had school on Sundays, or Good Friday--half the time spring break coincided with Christian Holy Week--so why wouldn't we also give time off for Jewish holy days?

I valued my friendship with Jordan. He and I would imagine movie scripts together (which often involved him patiently listening to my long-winded pitches and providing notes. He was a great friend!). We shared life together. I was welcomed in his home, and I learned a great deal from his family. 

Though I'm a Christian and I always will be, my time in elementary school formed my worldview in important ways. Every child could benefit greatly from having friends who don't share their faith, and living in a community where more than one faith is honored. When I resist the idea of centering Christianity in the public sphere, I'm not doing it out of "political correctness". I'm doing it because inter-faith friendships and communities have blessed me, and I want that for all our kids.  

For more background information read this statement from the ELCA's presiding bishop, or learn about Christians Against Christian Nationalism.    

No comments:

Post a Comment