Thursday, May 23, 2024

Christian Citizenship (Biblical Reasons Why I Want to Be a Christian in a Multi-Faith Nation) Part 18

 


This post is part 18 of a series on Christian citizenship, and why I believe mixing Christian identity with American identity is bad for both. I hope to give you little bite-sized thoughts, which represent themes you'll find throughout the Bible and historic Christian teachings.

I hope they make you think.

Here is today's reason I want to live as a Christian in a multi-faith nation.

Jesus said, “‘Beware of practicing your piety before others in order to be seen by them; for then you have no reward from your Father in heaven.” He cautioned against loud, wordy public prayers. Instead, he said his followers should go into private rooms and pray to their Father “who is in secret.” This does not mean that our faith should be a secret, or that all prayer should be done in secret. But it does mean that in prayer, our “audience” is not other people, but God. If prayer is led by leaders in secular spaces (like public schools) as a political statement, the focus goes away from God and onto the person praying, and the political statement they are trying to make. 

In public settings (especially where we know there will be people present who do not share our faith), we should be asking ourselves, “what am I saying to God here that I couldn’t have said in my home, my church, or another faith-based event? And why?” 

On September 11, 2019, I had the distinct honor to lead an invocation to begin the session of the Michigan State House of Representatives in Lansing. I came as the guest of Jack O'Malley, my state rep, who at the time was a member of the church I served with, and is still someone I count as a friend. 

I was excited to accept the invitation, but I definitely did so after a time of much prayerful reflection. I needed to be sure that what I said to God on that day would represent not only my own theology and perspective, but allow as many people there as possible (ideally everyone) to connect with their creator in a deeper way. This does not mean I needed to make sure every word I said was something everyone would agree with (in which case I'd have been better off staying seated). But my goal was, at the very least, to remove myself and my own agendas from the conversation, and gather the spirits of those present for a holy moment with God.  

I hope, whatever your faith background, that you do get an opportunity to lead prayer in a public setting at least once in your life. It's not an easy task, but it is rewarding to see people of different stripes brought together. If you're following Jesus' advice in that setting, the number one thing to remember is that, when it's all said and done, you've got an audience of one: God.   

Here's a link to the full video from 2018.

For a word on Christian diversity and our public persona, check out tomorrow's post.


For more background information read this statement from the ELCA's presiding bishop, or learn about Christians Against Christian Nationalism.




No comments:

Post a Comment