Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Jonah 3:1-10 Prepared For A Response

 


Observation: After God's "subtle hint" of abducting him by means of a giant fish, Jonah realizes he is not going to get out of prophesying to the people of Nineveh. He doesn't want them to listen. He wants God to give them what-for. Yet he still begrudgingly marches a day's walk into this city and crying out "Forty days more, and Nineveh shall be overthrown!" And something totally unexpected happens. They repent of their evil ways, in a big, dramatic fashion. This wasn't supposed to happen! What does Jonah do now that they've actually responded to him? 

Application: I have an embarrassing story to tell. As a committee chair for my son's Cub Scout pack, I gathered with other families to plan a "join night" event for our pack last night. We did all the prep we had time to do. We shared flyers with the students of his school; we shared events online; we told friends. But all of this was rather last-minute, and to be honest I was expecting a few inquiring families, but not much more. Instead, we were totally overwhelmed! We could hardly get the grill going before there were twenty kids requesting burgers! I ran out of craft supplies and had to ask my sons to step back and let newer kids give it a try! It was kind of a mess, and I felt really awkward for not believing that we actually had something good going on here that folks would want to know about. Hopefully they'll forgive us for not expecting such a big response. 

I guess that's not a spiritual story, but it does speak to an attitude I have to fight against in these times. In my calling as a pastor, I've gotten way too used to asking, "what will we do if nobody shows up?" and not at all accustomed to asking, "What if the response is totally overwhelming? What if God's Word really does what it promises to do, and people's hearts are moved? What if something shifts, and all of a sudden we're surrounded by people whose lives God has changed?" I don't want to be caught off guard, like Jonah was. If we are bold enough to spread the word, we should be prepared for big stuff to happen. 

Prayer: God, you exceed our expectations every day. Thank you. Help me be ready for the big things you will do. Amen.  

    

No comments:

Post a Comment