Tuesday, September 27, 2022

James 5:1-6 If We Don't Fix It, God Will

 




Observation: James, the brother of Jesus, is the head of the church in Jerusalem. Compared to many first-century churches in the Mediterranean world, the Jerusalem church is not wealthy. This probably colors James' approach to the wealthy, which is fairly harsh. "Your gold and silver have rusted, and their rust will be evidence against you, and it will eat your flesh like fire." James accuses rich landowners of holding back wages from farm workers, which is expressly forbidden by the Torah (Leviticus 19:13). James' overall point is that riches are not forever, and when they're gone, if those with wealth don't do justice, God will. 

Application: Yesterday, for my cold, gloomy day off, I binge watched the series The White Lotus. With all the prerequisite warnings--that this show is on HBO, that it is for adults, and that even as an adult there were one or two scenes which had me reaching for the fast-forward button--overall it was excellent. The show is about a high-end Hawaiian resort, the guests who can afford to stay there, and the staff who are tasked with fulfilling their every desire. Jennifer Coolidge, known as a comedic actress, won a well-deserved Emmy as outstanding supporting actress for her role. She plays a wealthy single woman, in deep throes of an alcohol addiction and of grief for her mother, whose ashes she has decided to disperse in the sea. 

The relevant point here (there is one, I promise!) is that her wealth can not solve her problems, and in fact exacerbates most of them. Our culture, just like the culture in which James lived, has made an idol out of wealth, and created a system of sacrifice, and dare I say, worship, around those who have it. It's not healthy, it's not holy, and it's making us miserable--rich and poor alike. If we don't do the necessary work of justice, of caring for one another, for our families, for our communities, then eventually, God will. No matter how much we have or what we think it can do for us, we are dust, and to dust we shall return. What we take with us is not material wealth, but faith in God and love of our neighbor. 

Prayer: God, help me use what means I have to be a blessing for others. Help me use my voice, my education, my role in my community, as a voice for justice. In Jesus' name, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment