Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Hebrews 10:32-39 Our Prized Possession

 


Observation: The preacher of this sermon to mostly Jewish believers in Christ reminds them of the struggles they and so many others faced early on because of their faith. Abuse, persecution, prison, and the loss of property were all part of early Christians' lives. Not only did believers themselves go through this, but they had friends and partners go through it as well. Suffering and persecution were never far from the first generation of Christians, and they saw it as a defining mark: a connection to Christ, who himself suffered as part of his earthly life. Yet the preacher reminds the hearers that they were able to do this confidently and even cheerfully, knowing that the possession that really mattered--their identity in Christ--could never be taken away by the cruelty of others. 

Application: Christians lived as a religious majority, in a comfortable partnership with our surrounding culture in Europe and North America, for so long that we lost touch with what it was like for early believers. They often had to choose their faith over friendships, economic opportunities, family connections, and even personal safety. It takes some mental and spiritual work to really identify with what that must have been like, because for many American Christians, faith had been a comfortable thing. When I do take a minute and think what it must have been like to be a religious minority, facing danger for practicing my faith, it reminds me that all the comfort around me is not going to last. I'm thankful to have a good job, a roof over my head, and the freedom to proclaim Christ publicly. Yet even if that all went away, who I am as a child of God would not. My prized possession is not a physical thing but my connection to a loving and gracious God. 

Prayer: God, thank you for all my blessings. Help me to have compassion for all those who suffer and face danger on account of their faith. Help me to remember what is essential in life, and celebrate it each day. Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment