Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Titus 1:1-9 Setting a High Bar

"5I left you behind in Crete for this reason, so that you should put in order what remained to be done, and should appoint elders in every town, as I directed you: 6someone who is blameless, married only once, whose children are believers, not accused of debauchery and not rebellious. 7For a bishop, as God's steward, must be blameless; he must not be arrogant or quick-tempered or addicted to wine or violent or greedy for gain; 8but he must be hospitable, a lover of goodness, prudent, upright, devout, and self-controlled. 9He must have a firm grasp of the word that is trustworthy in accordance with the teaching, so that he may be able both to preach with sound doctrine and to refute those who contradict it."

Observation: Paul is writing to Titus, his associate in Crete, whom he has tasked with appointing leaders for the church in nearby towns. Paul's standards for conduct for elders and bishops are very, very high. 

Application: When I read words like "blameless," "prudent, upright, devout and self-controlled," it's intimidating. The sobering truth is that, especially in today's culture, it can take hundreds of good interactions with a Christian leader to counter one bad impression in a person's mind. And because the church itself has been guilty of routinely and systematically covering up abuse and protecting abusers, I know my honor and the honor of all Christ-believers, and to some extent even Christ himself, is on the line when I go to work each morning. It's a lot sometimes.

But today, on the first day of school, as I rose early, dropped my kids at the bus stop, and got started on a brand new hopeful routine, I am reminded: yes, God's standards are high, but God's mercy is new every morning. I will continue to hold myself and other leaders to high standards. But knowing that, in a hundred small ways, we will fall short each day, I hope to also embody the grace we get from God. I don't want to just be known as "devout and self-controlled." I also want to be known as a person who gets God's grace, and will freely announce it to my fellow imperfect people. 

Prayer: God, help me do this one day at a time. Keep watch over my mind, my mouth, my hands and feet. Let me be a good ambassador for you. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment