Thursday, September 26, 2019

Proverbs 22:2-7 Conventional Wisdom


Observation: the first thing I notice is that these sayings are not all directly related. They talk about avoiding danger, pursuing prosperity, even parenting. But if there's a unifying thread, it's that our own actions and attitudes contribute to how our lives will turn out. Common sense, you might say.

Application: I'm drawn to verse 6, "Train children in the right way, and when old, they will not stray." I often find myself in conversations with my kids that mirror the Proverbs. Being cautious, humble, and willing to take responsibility for themselves is  something most people want for their kids. This is all helpful advice. But it doesn't necessarily take into account the curve balls life throws at us. Proverbs is conventional wisdom, which probably works on most days. But when bad things happen to my kids, seemingly out of nowhere, I want to lay a deeper foundation. That's where verse 2 comes in, "the rich and poor have this in common, the Lord made them both." Underneath all the hard work, responsible time management, caution of danger, 'grit', and the rest of characteristics we want our kids to develop, there needs to be a foundation: they know no matter what, they are loved. And so is everyone they meet, rich or poor. Our life decisions may play into our life outcomes. But they'll never change that we are worthy of God's love. That's what I want my kids to know, at the end of the day.

Prayer: God, I pray for all kids and young people. May they learn about responsibility, about managing their priorities, their days and their lives. But right or wrong, may they also know your love for them. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment