Thursday, June 13, 2019

Proverbs 3:13-18 Woman Wisdom, the Treasure of God


Observation: In the book of Proverbs, God's wisdom is personified as a woman, inviting all people to a feast of knowledge. This section is like a love poem to her, saying she is worth more than any earthly treasure.

Application: I remember an old school camp song that was based on this passage,

"Lord, you are more precious than silver/ Lord, you are more costly than gold/ Lord, you are more beautiful than diamonds/ and nothing I desire compares with you."

It's a beautiful song, but I never knew that this original scripture passage described God's Wisdom, which is named as a woman.

When I think of God's wisdom this way, it helps me remember that God is beyond any one gender--God invented genders, after all--and it helps me remember all the wise women who have helped me grow. Teachers, camp counselors, church women, and most importantly my sisters, my Mom, my wife and my daughter, have all shown forth God's wisdom for me. When we only think of God as male, we tend not to notice so many of the ways God shows up to teach us in our lives. I'm grateful for God's wisdom, and the women who have helped me see it. It really is more precious than silver and gold.

Prayer: God, thank you for raising me, for teaching me, for loving and supporting me. Thanks for being a mother to me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment