Monday, June 10, 2019

Joel 2:18-29 The Spirit of Life

Text: Joel 2:18-29

Observation: I notice in this text that God promises abundant rains, harvests, food, to the land and creatures, to make up for the desolation of locusts, which was punishment for human wrongdoing. I also notice that the promise to nourish the creation is directly followed up by the promise to "pour out my Spirit on all flesh," for all people regardless of social status. God promises to care for the whole people and the whole land, body and soul.  This reminds me of psalm 104 from yesterday, that God's Spirit "renews the face of the Earth".

Application: Sometimes I try to separate out physical, mental, and spiritual wellness. Maybe I'll go all out on diet & exercise (this rarely happens, but sometimes...) and then neglect prayer & devotions. Or I'll get into a routine talking with a counselor but let that old elliptical machine collect dust.

When this happens, some part of me knows something's off. God cares about the whole person, mind, body & spirit, and so should I. You can't just work on one at a time.

But the grace I see here, is that God's Spirit comes to help us as whole people. The Holy Spirit cares for me, mind, body and soul, and also cares for the land and creatures where I live. By my own work, I can't care for myself, much less my family, my congregation, my planet. But when the Spirit comes, I am able to do a little at a time, the next right thing, and that's enough.

Prayer: Lord, send forth your Spirit and renew the face of the Earth, and of my life too. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment