Friday, June 8, 2018

Psalm 130: More Than Those Who Watch For the Morning



Observation: Psalm 130 is my favorite. It begins in the depths, and stays there, yet continues to hope in the Lord. Just as surely as morning is coming, God's deliverance is coming too.

Application: This week, I can't read this psalm and not be thinking about those who have died by suicide. The world has lost both Kate Spade and Anthony Bourdain. And coincidentally, this week a report has been released showing a sharp increase in suicide across our nation. We are a people badly in need of hope. 

Mental illness is a terrible thing. Millions struggle with it, and it's not because they are weak or defective; it's often simply an issue of brain chemistry or trauma. If you struggle with thoughts of suicide, know it's not your fault and you NEED to reach out to loved ones and medical professionals who can help. 

The National Suicide Prevention Hotline is 1-800-273-8255. Please call. 

As I read this psalm, it reminds me that when I'm in the depths, I'm not alone. God will deliver me. Waiting on God is hard, but even the fact that you're waiting is a sign that there's hope. 

My friends, I just want you to know. You are God's child, and God loves you. God made you on purpose. God weeps with you when you hurt. God, who did not withhold God's own Son, God's own life, that we might live, will deliver us from any other trouble we may be facing. Just as sure as the sunrise, God's presence and love is something we can count on. God wants abundant life for you. And so do I. And I'd be glad to call you and tell you that any day of the week. 

Prayer: God, help us wait for you. Be with those who suffer. Open our eyes and ears to be ready to be your presence for those who need you today. Amen. 





No comments:

Post a Comment