Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Mark 4:21-25 There is Nothing Hidden



Observation: Amid a cluster of parables, Jesus tells his disciples and followers a parable of a lamp, which belongs not in a bushel basket or under a bed, but on a lamp stand, to give light to the whole house. Here in Mark's Gospel, Jesus explains that all that is secret will one day be exposed, and that those who "have" will receive more, but those who "have nothing" will have even more taken away. Very strange way to frame this parable. 

Application: I think the traditional way I was always taught to interpret this parable--probably starting as early as Sunday School--is that the lamp stands for our faith, or for the Good News of Jesus. "Hey, share it! This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine!" But Mark's language about secrecy makes me wonder if there's a different way to read this parable. 

What if the "lamp" is simply the light of who we are, good, bad or indifferent? If we try to hide who we are, it will eventually come out anyway. We can put on airs, we can smile politely in public, we can beautify our bodies, our houses, our yards, our lives, but if we're not paying any attention to the state of our spirits--the way we think and feel, the story we tell ourselves when nobody's watching--it won't do any good. 

I don't know why it never occurred to me before today, that hiding a burning lamp under your bed or under a bushel basket is not just a dumb way to use the light of a lamp. It's also super dangerous. The light we hide for too long is liable to burn our house down. There is nothing hidden, except to be disclosed. 

In this age of outrage and anger, I wonder if one way to "shine the light" of who we really are is to be vulnerable when we are feeling hurt. Rather than blasting anger every which way, maybe we put our pain up on a lamp stand, where others can see that we're not indestructible, we're human. Because, come on. They know anyway. Maybe the measure of pain we're willing to share and be honest about will be the measure of healing we're willing to receive from God. Maybe those who have even the tiniest bit of trust in their fellow human beings, or in God, will see that trust multiplied, while those with no trust at all will see exactly what they expected to see: more pain.

Prayer: God, give me the strength to admit I'm weak. Take away my facade, my illusions and lies. Let me shine a light on who I really am, that I may become who you need me to be. Amen.   

No comments:

Post a Comment