Monday, March 26, 2018

Isaiah 42:1-9 The Silent Servant






Observation: For Monday in Holy Week, the text is from the "Suffering Servant" texts in Isaiah. It's unclear exactly who the "Servant" was meant to stand for--maybe a personified example of how God wants Israel to be in the world--but early Christians applied it to Jesus. What strikes me is verse 2, "He will not cry or lift up his voice, or make it heard in the street..." This makes me think of Jesus, who keeps silent even in the face of false accusations.

Application: This text is hard to hear for me as the news comes in about massive protests throughout our country in favour of some reasonable gun reform. Not everyone reading this will have the same view on how to address gun violence, but I will say I have tremendous respect for young people across this country who are making their voices heard: who are crying out in the street.

Does this text suggest crying out is wrong? Is Jesus following the Servant's example by staying silent in the face of false accusations and misinformation? I don't think so. There is a time to cry out, and a time to silently get to work. There's a time to be a bonfire, and a time to burn slow, like a lamp to get you through a long night. Right alongside the Servant's restraint, the text lifts up his persistence: "He will not grow faint or be crushed until he has established justice in the earth."

Jesus chose his battles. He didn't take the religious leaders' bait and cry foul every time someone said something untrue about him.  He kept doing what God called him to do, no matter what. And not even a cross could stop him. He's still working.

If, like me, you sometimes feel guilty for not being more outspoken on a particular justice issue, give yourself some grace, and remember the Servant, who doesn't always cry out, but never, ever quits working for justice.

Prayer: God, sometimes I hold my tongue when I should speak. And sometimes I speak when I should be listening. Forgive me. Show me the long game, and the small thing I can do today for your justice. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment