Thursday, March 1, 2018

1 Peter 2:4-10 Rejected Stone





Observation: Peter uses an image borrowed from psalm 118, calling Jesus "the stone that the builders rejected," who "has become the very head of the corner." Considering that Jesus himself was in the construction business (the word translated as "carpenter" was actually more broad than woodworking), this is doubly appropriate. Just as Jesus is a "living stone" that supports the whole structure of our faith, Peter calls his readers to be "living stones" as well. We're connected, mutually supportive, all part of the same structure, and we are placed just where we are for a reason. Though the world may reject us as useless, we believe every person has value and a purpose for God's work. 

Application: I'm reminded of the old African American spiritual, There is a Balm in Gilead. 

"Sometimes I feel discouraged and think my work's in vain, but then the Holy Spirit revives my soul again."

I'm not sure if I can give specific examples, but this week I've had some attacks of feeling useless and ineffective. It's really, really hard most days to have any sense whether what I do is making a difference in the grand scheme. I'm sure for some in society, what I do would indeed be regarded as useless. These ancient words and stories, these ancient rituals, what do they have to do with modern life? Wouldn't we all be better off spending our time, money and effort moving the needle on other vital issues of our time? 

 Jesus, too, was rejected as useless. Not the strong, military Messiah his fellow Jews were hoping for. He taught some people, fed some people, healed a few, and got crucified for his trouble. And yet his story went on. He continued to show up, not just in the lives of his immediate followers, but through the generations, making the "rejected stones" of society into key elements of a holy temple of grace.

The picture above is of a building brick made of garbage. It's recycled plastic, a product our oceans are literally drowning in. It's immensely strong and it's a natural insulator. Once, it was trash. Now, it will keep somebody warm and safe from the elements. 

God can use the "trash" in our lives. We have no idea what impact our little moments and days will have, and the unfortunate thing is we may never know. But we do know that we follow one who was rejected, but who became the cornerstone of a house that has kept billions warm. If we hope in him, there is hope in all we do. 

Prayer: God, some days I really do feel useless. I wish I didn't. I wish I was positive and hopeful all the time, but I'm not. Take the garbage in my life--the garbage days, the garbage attitudes, the garbage I've said and done--and through your grace and forgiveness, use all I am to make the world whole. Amen. 




No comments:

Post a Comment