Friday, January 5, 2018

Psalm 110: Until I Make Your Enemies Your Footstool



Observation: This is a psalm of victory for a king that may be for a coronation: " The Lord says to my Lord, 'Sit at my right hand until I make your enemies your footstool.'" In the New Testament and later Christian tradition, this was read as Jesus' crucifixion, in which he is literally "raised up" above those who wish him harm, and by dying for them, he wins the ultimate victory over death. 

Application: This is what victory looks like: not violent conquest, but self-giving love. Willingness to look to all the world like a catastrophic failure, to be mocked and humiliated, while the true victory remains hidden. Today I am just grateful that Jesus was willing to be lifted up for me. 

Prayer: Jesus, help me to lift you up in how I live my life. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment