Thursday, September 7, 2017

Psalm 119:33-40 Course Corrections



Observation: What strikes me again and again in this short passage from the longest psalm in the Bible is the word "turn." "Turn my heart to your decrees", "Turn my eyes from looking at vanities", "Turn away the disgraces that I dread". Turn, turn, turn. 

Application: When I was first learning to drive, I remember I had problems with steering. I'd realize I was a little off, then over-correct, then over-correct the opposite way, ending up with kind of a zig-zag. I have a lot of respect for my parents, for neither losing their patience, or getting seasick as I got more confident. 

The thing is, all these little corrections and turns are indeed part of steering a car. It's just that with an experienced driver, they're second nature. They're usually so smooth they don't make you think twice. 

Learning to do what God expects of us is similar. It's like steering the car of our soul. It's a constant series of minor turns: away from this, toward that, around various obstacles, and occasionally a whole new direction or even a U-turn. Like the psalmist, we need God at our side to help us make those course corrections, minor or major. 

Prayer: God, thank you for helping me learn to steer my soul. Thank you for your grace, which saves me when I lose control. Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment