Thursday, September 28, 2017

James 4:11-16 Life Moves Pretty Fast




Observation: James, the brother of Jesus, warns his church about judging others, because judging is God's job. He also warns against too much confidence in future plans, because we don't know what tomorrow will bring. These two pieces of advice may not seem connected at first, but they both remind us not to forget how fragile and short our lives are, and how little we really know about them.

Application:  I don't think I was much different from most kids when I was young, that I thought I was invincible, and I had all the time in the world. More and more, I'm learning that isn't the case. It's true what Ferris Bueller said: Life moves pretty fast. We are "a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes." We've heard it a thousand times: judging others is wrong, because that's God's job. But it's also wrong simply because it is a huge waste of the precious time that God gave us. It wastes our time, and the time of the people we're judging. It creates a culture where we spend more time looking over our shoulder than at the amazing things God is doing right in front of our face.

In pastoral care situations this week, I was given a very stark reminder: we can plan all we want, but no matter our age or station in life, we are not guaranteed any more tomorrows. God's Word is reminding me that today should be spent on love.

Prayer: God, help me see what you are doing today. Help me make plans with humility. And help me remove from those plans any sense of judgment or superiority. Help me see my smallness, the fragility of my life, and in seeing that, adore you all the more for saving me. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment