Thursday, July 27, 2017

Psalm 119:129-136 An Ever-Expanding Grace



Observation: Psalm 119, the longest in the Bible, is an acrostic in Hebrew. It works through the entire Hebrew alphabet, a love song to God's law. What grabs me especially today are the words, "The unfolding of your word gives light; it imparts understanding to the simple." 

Application: when I read this verse it makes me think of a supernova exploding into the universe and giving light. It makes me think of the big bang and an ever-expanding universe. The cosmos as we know it is in a constant state of unfolding, and so is God's word. Far from a one-time utterance, God's word keeps unfolding to speak to new situations. The same words on a page can expand to say something different today than yesterday, and different tomorrow than today. In the book of Hebrews it says God's word is living and active. I believe that. 

Prayer: Thank you, Holy Spirit, for unfolding your word for me. I pray you will unfold my soul to understand it. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment