Thursday, November 10, 2016

Psalm 122: For the Sake of My Relatives and Friends

Photo credit: Guy Davis 

Observation: Another Psalm of Ascent, written for the joyful journey into Jerusalem for Temple Worship.

Application: A year ago at this time, I was there. We stood in an old Jewish cemetery on the Mount of Olives, and looked down on the 3,000 year old city where David reigned, and Solomon built, and where Jesus taught, died and rose. And we spoke this psalm: "Pray for the peace of Jerusalem...Peace be within your walls...for the sake of my relatives and friends I will say, "Peace be with you."
Entering the city, not all was peaceful. Every other block was occupied d by Israeli soldiers: teenagers with automatic weapons. There were stabbings in the city during our time there. Riot gear was on display as we entered the Old City, probably less to intimidate wrongdoers than to set at ease Western tourists.
And yet, as you walk the city, history overwhelms you. How many catastrophes has it outlived? How many Wars and rumors of Wars? How many times have its citizens sheltered in place, sure this must be the end? And yet it stands.
This brings me peace today. For the sake of my relatives and friends in faith--Jewish, Muslim and Christian --i still pray for the peace of Jerusalem.
And for their sake, I continue to pray for peace with justice in my own land. I pray for peace that's more than peace and quiet for some and an ongoing, silent assault for others. I pray for peace that means opportunity and quality of life for all. As long as the City--and my city--stands, for their sake I pray for peace.
Prayer: God, I pray for peace in Jerusalem and in Palestine and Israel. I pray for peace in my own land. Not peace through domination and intimidation, but peace through listening. Raise up people of peace in this next generation, to speak out and listen closely, that ALL your children may have peace. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment