Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Psalm 121: God of Insomniacs


Observation: this is a "psalm of ascent," meant to be sung on the journey "to the hills" of Jerusalem for temple worship. It was a dangerous journey: the roads were full of wild animals and bandits. Travelers turned to God for protection.

Application: My thoughts are all over the map right now. I only got a couple good hours of sleep, and I worry future nights may not hold much more. But this psalm reminds me that God works the night shift: when everyone else is resting comfortably, and it's down to just me and my worries, I'm not alone. God does not slumber. God does not sleep. God is on the job, all the time. As much of a mess as we humans can make of the world, at some point we have to pass out and take a break from our idiocy. God doesn't take breaks. Advantage: God. No matter the hour, God is sitting with us in our worry, healing us in our brokenness, working good from our mistakes. The one watching over us does not so much as blink an eye. It may not always feel like it, but God's got this. God's got you.
Prayer: God, give me rest. May we rest in you, and wake to love our neighbors even better. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment