Friday, October 14, 2016

2 Samuel 6, and "Cool Points"


Observation: As the Ark of the Covenant comes into Jerusalem, David's joy overtakes him, and he leaps and dances in a way that embarasses his wife, Michal (Saul's daughter). When she accuses him of uncovering himself in front of all the maids and servants (a huge taboo in an honor and shame culture) David justifies his behavior, saying for the sake of worship, he'll be "even more contemptible than this" but still be held in esteem by others.

Application: I learned how to gain and lose "cool points" very early. I still remember our music class' annual end of the year "dance party." In fifth grade, we all cut loose and had the time of our lives. In sixth grade there was a sea change. Nobody danced. Everybody stayed in their seats. It was frustrating. I decided to be the first one to get up and dance. Nobody followed suit. It was...well, it was mortifying. I thought my life was over. 

It wasn't until years later, as a camp counselor, that I learned how to show enthusiasm--whether I felt it or not--to help others enjoy themselves. I realized by leading campfires and chapel services that sometimes, being the only one *not* clapping and singing, can look almost as silly as being the one who is. My way of worshiping has evolved a bit. I wouldn't call myself a member of the "frozen chosen", but neither have I ever spoken in tongues. I think it's important to be open to the leading of the Spirit in worship. And yes, sometimes I may look completely enthralled when I'm inwardly working on the day's to-do list. I try not to let that happen often. I take seriously the idea that the Spirit can work through our movements, our expressions, our sense of enthusiasm, to inspire others. We do the best we can. We fake it till we make it. And we trust that "faith comes from hearing," and even when we don't have quite the gusto we wish for, God's promises shine through. 

God, thank you for dance and movement. Help our bodies be vessels of your word. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment