Thursday, October 6, 2016

1 Samuel 26 & 27: the Many Faces of King David




1 Samuel 26:9 But David said to Abishai, ‘Do not destroy him; for who can raise his hand against the Lord’s anointed, and be guiltless?’


1 Samuel 27: David struck the land, leaving neither man nor woman alive, but took away the sheep, the oxen, the donkeys, the camels, and the clothing, and came back to Achish.


Observation: In these two chapters, David goes from sparing the life of a murderous King Saul (again), to raiding Philistine villages for their livestock, and murdering all who live there, who might betray his location.


Application: When I think of "King David," I tend to think of two distinct chapters in his life: the innocent "early days", where a bright-eyed, idealistic David slays Goliath and remains faithful to King Saul even when he's running for his life, and the jaded "later days" where a power-drunk King David takes advantage of Bathsheba and covers it up by having her husband killed. It's simpler to think at some point David just "turned bad". But life isn't simple. This two chapters of First Samuel shows that David was always what we all are: not just good or bad, but simultaneously saint and sinner. Always harboring the worst and most selfish instincts and attitudes that we often call out in others, but also, always harboring the Holy Spirit--God's Spirit--Who continues to bear the fruits of faith, hope and love in our hearts and our lives...sometimes in spite of ourselves.


Prayer: God, like King David, I am a mixed bag. I have thoughts, words and deeds every day that I'm not proud of. But I also praise you that you have saved me anyway, and given me your Holy Spirit, who works good things in my life. Help me die to myself today, that Christ may live in me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment