Friday, September 23, 2016

Daily Devotion: Psalm 109, Context, Context, CONTEXT!

Just this past Sunday, I preached about the biblical command to pray for political leaders, for the sake of everyone their decisions will affect.
Today, in the daily texts, I find an example of the opposite: a prayer against a king. A prayer, I might add, suggested by Senator David Purdue of Georgia as being appropriate for President Obama this past June.
I remember being shocked by the story. The psalm goes on, "may his children be orphans; and his wife a widow." When I try to pray for leaders, even those I strongly disagree with, this is NOT what I mean. Hey, I've prayed for politicians to lose elections before, and I've done so based on my Christian principles, but praying for someone's death? I'd say based on Jesus' interpretation, that is actually a violation of the fifth commandment.
But it's Biblical, isn't it? I mean, it's right there in the Psalms!

Well, here's the thing about that...

You might want to go to the beginning of Psalm 109. It's a psalm of King David...and verse 8 is quoting David's enemies. The ones conspiring against God's anointed ruler. The ones with "wicked and deceitful mouths," who "beset me with words of hate." David is actually praying against the very people speaking in verse 8.
I'm still not saying anyone should be praying to orphan anyone else's children, whoever it is. And I'm CERTAINLY not comparing the President to God's anointed king. But I am saying it pays to read with some context, and take God's Word as more than just an orchard from which to pick the apples we like best.
God, guide me by your Word, your whole Word, and nothing but your Word...a Word whose name is Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment